Sunday, March 22, 2009

Julie (71/100) - Streaming light


Blast and bother it! I thought I might do a good test of the difference between a P&S and a d-SLR with this one. But hoist on my own petard, I is!

This is the Macleay Museum on campus which houses some wonderful biological antiquities. Rachael was very assiduous in determining whether the name of the museum was going to be used in vain, just where I would stand and the direction in which I would face. She also wanted the museum to get atribution.

But the bother'n'dang stems from the settings I omitted to choose. I chose M and used the wheel to set the F-stops. On the S3 this means that I get to see the image which carries more weight than the data that is overprinted on the screen. Does for me anyways ...

But I forgot to set the ISO which remained at 200 from yesterday and I forgot to set the AWB which remained at Sunny - at least yesterday I was consistent. However, today the poor camera struggled and using my big tripod it gave me probably a 10 sec Busy signal for each of these images. Hence the movement ...
Yes, yes, yes ... the really crook thing is that I did not twig to the hassles! Duh!!

4 comments:

Julie said...

When I see it up here, it rams home how I would hate to work in that space.

So why post it, I hear you ask ...

In this project, I learn a lot from the stuff-ups ... like in life generally I guess. The light here was really a challenge - streaming in from high windows yet the area fairly dim generally speaking. A tripod helped with the shot at the Nicholson Museum because the area was relatively static and subtly (?sp) lit.

Photography, to me, means having taken sufficient shots in a variety of millieu(x) and knowing the options to use for each - but being able to think on my feet is the output is not up to scratch.

I think I get better in the shots that I have scheduled over the coming week.

Ann said...

I still rely on the camera a lot. I haven't got my head around the correct manual settings yet, although I may be getting better with the Aperture Priority. I gave up with white balance and went back to auto. Just couldn't get it right. Unless I'm shooting at night I forget about the ISO, 400 seems to work with just about everything. While my good photos are getting better I am still taking spectacularly bad ones.

Ann said...

But I think the ratio of good to bad is rising.

Julie said...

Yes, I think sort of like that. The bad ones are rool crook!

Not sure that my ratio is on the up; I suspect because I try to be adventurous as much as possible. Deliberately forcing myself on the edge.

Like tonight, with that spectacular backdrop I want to do more Av and as the night wears on try the black background that Pierre managed with his party photos. I am taking both my large tripod and my diffuser. I am really addicted to the diffuser. Have just learnt to step back a bit more and use the zoom for a nice even glow without hightlights on forehead and cheeks.

I am sure the gals I am going with will groan ...