Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Julie (157) - Jess tinkling the ivories


Great looks on her face, aren't they? The shot where she turned to look at me, caught me by surprise, I must admit. I was trying to focus on her hands. Not only can she play the piano well, but she is an excellent photographer. She showed me some of the shots she had taken in Zanzibar as she traipsed around behind this Belgian pilot she is keen on. I think Jess was about one when I first met her. She dun good ...

I guess this situation was one for flash ... I must overcome my fear and loathing ... I include the stats to try to work out how to avoid the poor quality. The first image was F5, 1/8, ISO=400, 55mm
The second image where she is peering wasF5, 1/15, ISO=800, 100mm
The nape of the neck was F5.6, 1/13, ISO=800, 200mm

As I went to find the stats I came across another image that seems a bit better and include it here.

The stats for this are F5.6, 1/30, ISO=1600, 131mm

I think this indicates that I was aware of the problem and trying all I could to solve it. The room although with plenty of windows was full of people and lined with books - hence not much light. So in this final image, I notched the ISO higher than I ever do and backed off with the zoom a bit, both letting more light in and allowing me to up the s/s just enough to freeze the shot.

I think ...

4 comments:

Ann said...

Get your hands of one of them 50mm F1.8 lenses woman. Think it would have solved the problem (although you couldn't zoom in).

Julie said...

That's okay because Jess would have coped with me just inching closer.

But Peter's comment is interesting: he says more camera shake as I take it. I do have a bit of a wobble caused by something inner-ear. Like I can walk into furniture and fences! And I am conscious of a distinct sway when I am focussing. But I try so bloody hard ...

Julie said...

Where did you get that fast lens from again?

Bit pretensious me having three lens ... my brothers already giggle at me ... if elderly brothers can giggle, that is!

Julie said...

All of you: go and look at a photograph that Michael from Melbourne posted last night.

It is a treasure: a real gem ...